18.8.06

The hemuls are coming!

This morning, we had a run-through of Research Africa's human resources procedures and guidelines. HR regulations in South Africa are very enlightened and as a result I have a 50-page wad on my desk now telling me what to do if an employee is insubordinate, if I get ill or if I spill a cup of tea over my laptop.

Right now, I'm infringing on paragraphs 2.1 of our electronic communications policy by using the company's e-facilities for non-work related and timewasting activities. Yesterday I infringed on paragraph 3.1.5 of the same by sending emails pertaining to my freelance work ('for personal gain'). On wednesday I was in breach of paragraph 4.2.3 of our code of good practice by working more than 12 hours in a day. And I also found out that I'm pretty permanenty completely off the charts when it comes to following company dress code (para 5.8.2, 'neat and presentable') and keeping the office tidy to uphold the company image (para 5.7.1, 'professional image').

In other words, dad and the rest of the Mumin fanatics out there, the hemuls are strong in this place. For all you others, that is pretty much the same as 'the man'...

I was disappointed to find a rule against carrying spears to work (para 6.2.3.4). I always think that a good spear sets off my shoes and bag nicely.

There is also a 10-page HIV/Aids policy which certainly sobered up our jolly HR meeting. According to it, we may not request testing of prospective or existing employees under ANY circumstances. Nor are you allowed to fire a HIV/Aids positive employee at will. Firing somebody in this country is a nightmare. But firing a HIV/Aids infected person seems near impossible. You have, by law, to give sufferers the extra leave they require to manage their illness, and look into changing their job descriptions as their health deteriorates. It's when you read things like that that you realise what challenges face some of the public sector and industries here.

As a future manager of at least one, probably two journalists, I find the prospect of having to pay heed to these regulations (all of them, not just the HIRV/Aids provisions) daunting. Personally, I view such regulations as more guidelines really. Does this mean I have to start counting the hours I work, start dressing properly and clear my desk? Gee, I hope not.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear daughter! Remember the wisdom of the Mumin father: "A sense of duty is just a personal limitation" (free and un-auhorized translation!). Beware of the Hemuls! Long live the free spirit of the Snusmumriks!! "Dad"

13:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home