3.4.07

Every day should be a holiday

People inhabiting colder climes might wonder what it is like to permanently live in a holiday resort. Does one ever get bored of the beach and the pina coladas. The answer, to tell the truth, is no. The beach is always a treat, no matter whether you go there every day of the week. The sea views never lose their lustre, the mountain is always glorious.

I'm on holiday, as I mentioned before. After a touring the Garden Route for 6 days I'm now back in town. Free time in town is what I most need and, consequently, what I savour the least. I'll explain: When I'm beavering away in the working week I have so many immediate concerns that I don't have time to think about the bigger worries - the dentist, my soon-to-be homelessness, the still-gaping hole left by my sister in my flat, the past, the future and all the in-between. On a faraway holiday these things also fade into the distance. But here and now, with time on my hands in my own flat, they come to the fore and beg to be taken care of.

I started today by making a list. This is what I should accomplish by Friday, when the whole town goes on holiday and most of my friends with it.

- Book XXXX for Cousin's hen night
- Book dentist appointment
- Write a profile for the Guardian
- Get my tax reference number
- Organise the invoice for my $1000 Nature piece
- Buy silver shoes for Cousin's wedding
- Book accommodation for Cousin's wedding
- Varnish my outdoors furniture
- Do laundry
- Clean the house
- Buy food (my fridge holds 3 beers, 1.5 litres of Gin, 1 litre of Vodka and nothing else)
- Organise summer holidays in Europe
- Arrange to cut off electricity and alarm when move out
- FIND A NEW FLAT
- Get a cat to stop feeling lonely at home
- Write outline of novel thought up while out of town
- Watch Citizen Kane
- Book haircut
- Organise something for my birthday (its on the 7th April, FYI...)
- Work out all the whys, the whats and the wherefores
- Go to the gym (a lot)
- Bake my own bread and learn how to cook with lentils
- Relax (the biggest challenge of all)
- Write a blog

TICK...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Linda, jag tror att halet efter syster är knepigt att fylla, och kanske "a trigger" för hur du kanner dig. Viktigast: hitta dig en ny lagenhet. Tank om jag kan komma i host och se pa valar? Din lista var så lang, har du hunnit nagot?
Mamma

10:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home