10.4.07

Posting no 101

Why thank you to those kind souls who offered to help with my cousin's hen night in exchange for petty travel expenses. Much obliged, of course, but in this case XXXX did not mean to say "full monty strip tease" but... Well, I can't say can I coz it's a surprise. And flights from the UK are very expensive so if I did acquiesce that would have to be one HELL of a show...

First day at work after my holiday hit like a ton of bricks and I'm still reeling from the impact. Turns out Deborah's visa application has gone tits up because of a problem with the application - it's taken too long to get together from the date the job ad was posted. Well, of course it took a long time, the bloody rules of Home Affairs made it thus! So now a good scenario is an acceptal after some coaxing by an (expensive no doubt) immigraiton lawyer. A bad one is having to go through the whole hiring hoo-haa again - posting an ad, doing the interviews, getting education qualifications compared and approved etc.

April press day is Wednesday next week, which is too close to bear to think about - so I don't. Instead I get on with what should be done by today, which is sending out cajoling emails to all contributors asking them to send me their stuff. The "Or Else" email will go out on Thursday afternoon.

Feeling a little out of touch as may be expected after 2 weeks out of the loop. Seems stuff's been happening but I always feel I get a very eclectic mix (bordering on random) when I sieve through the outputs of various organisations. I did a couple of the 'in the pipeline' stories that I'd been waiting for a while to do for the last issue, so I need some solid new stuff for this one. I've asked Deborah to write a piece about how scientists are faring under the circumstances in Zimbabwe - that should be interesting reading if it comes through.

The title refers to the number of posts I've so far made to this site. One hundred and one. A week ago, it was my 1 year anniversary for working for Research Africa. I've only got a year left. What to do then? Well, I have some ideas... Won't tell you yet but some of you had better measure out those sofas. I'm 1.74 cm in my socks - but I'm sure I can squeeze onto a two-seater if needs must.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is always a tent in Bromma!

Dad

16:47  
Blogger Kelly Fiveash said...

Wow, a year already. I was wondering, now that you've been living in Cape Town a while, has any of what Theroux wrote in Dark Star Safari resonated with you at all?
kel

21:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home