20.4.07

It's Chico time

So, I've been getting some stick about this blog lately. Apparently all my posts are about how horrible it is to live on a beach where it's sunny all the time and the air is clean and so on and so forth. So all right then I'll write about something a bit more upbeat. How about, I dunno... love?

Yep, I've fallen in love down here. It's a strong bond that I fear nothing will be able to sever. And it's a bit shameful to admit it here, now, in full view of the whole Interweb but here goes.

I LOVE MY CAR. I love it so much that I would like to marry it and have little android children with it. It doesn't have a name. It doesn't need to. It is THE CAR. And i love it.

Ok I know i know I KNOW that this will give ample ammo to all those people i've harrassed for owning an automobile in the past but OK fine, that was when I was young and foolish and... hrmpff...

Everybody in Cape Town has the same car - a white CitiGolf

I LOVE my car. I love that it's so basic I dislocate my shoulder every time I try to parallel park. I love that it coughs and splutters and bounces like a gangsta car after a cold night (read 14 degrees, I wonder how it would fare in European winters), I love the feeling that it's about to tip over when I speed round the bends of De Waal drive at 2 am. And the fusty smell that lingers since that night I didn't take my gym clothes in - dammit I love it too.

There are some people down here that don't drive. Actually, strike that. No South Africans can drive. They all have fake licenses. If you want to get a license, you need to queue for a test, then queue for a learners' license, then put up with no end of bad tuition before you realise it's all a load of crap and go down the local forgery office and get one printed then and there. Just the other day, the star of the SA blockbuster Tsotsi was caught and fined for having tried to get a fake license. Everybody's at it!

In fact, I'm surprised how many people down here get by without cars. OK so I'm talking here about people who have loads of money and live privilieged lives so don't nit pick. But they either have to be very, very charming and have very patient friends - or be bulletproof, or something.

Oh, and issue 11 is in the bag - as of Wednesday this week. It was the usual nightmare to put together but then it always is and I promised not to whinge in this post so there we go.

Now I'm off to invest a few grand in carbon sequestration technology.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

varför har inte mannen lyckats kopa ett om det är sa latt?
M

22:50  

Post a Comment

<< Home