11.5.07

Ciao Bella!

On Wednesday, I could have done the European weather. "In Madrid, it's a sunny morning. Scorchio! But stay away from Munich where the rain is making transfer between airport terminals a wet affair. Instead, head to Trieste where everything is... perfetto."

Now, Europe. Home of civilisation. My home, undoubtably. But no wonder we spent so long fighting each other. I mean, Spanish. Not the people, but the language. Did I say language? More like a couple of snare drums communicating. Tatatata-tata-tata-tataTATATAATA!?!?!? Ole! It gets a bit tiring after 10 hours on a plane.

But if the Spanish are the most annoying, the Germans are close runners up. They would queue to get out of a burning building. I've never seen such thorough security checks. I had two hours at Munich airport and I almost didn't make it. Bah.

Trieste, however, is perfetto, as I already said. Molto bellissimo! And the Italians are great looking and polite, as opposed to their cousins in Rome who have a propensity to smell and rub their sweaty crotches against you on the buses.



Heck, I could live here. Language isn't a problem. Au contraire. The pizza pie bakers are all from Algeria anyway, so they speak French. As do I. Kind of. SOrt of. And even with italian, the problem is NOT to try to speak it. I mean, I know french, I know spanish (well, I did a year of it at school and learnt the basic grammar and pronouns, and then I spent a week on a boat in the Galapagos where the ship's captain taught me much more useful things, such as how to say 'is that shark dangerous?' or 'no I dont want to have a drink in your cabin') and so I think I know Italian. But I dont. It leads to confusion.

But I could learn. I mean, already I'm grazie, prego like the rest of them.

The conference is cool, the food good, the sun is shining, I'm getting veiled job offers from organisations here and in Paris... The future is bright. The future is - Italy? Well maybe, if I can go via Thailand (as in, four months thereof)... The ski slopes are only 2 hours off...

One final word about Madrid, though. What an airport! NOt only is it extremely labyrinthine and even worse for transit than Munich, it has wonderful, cheap shops! I'll never catch my joburg connection! And then I also need to buy una crema para las bolsas en abajo de los ojos - because I'm worth it, and because this hectic jetsetting is making me very, very tired.

Arrividerci!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home